Auxiliary Aids and Services for Persons with Disabilities and for Limited-English Proficient Patients
The Hospital’s Social Service Department can assist in identifying and securing alternate communication methods for patients who have special communication needs including the use of Braille, sign language and language interpretation for more than 150 languages. The Social Service Department can be reached at extension 5549 or, from outside the Hospital, 573-651-5549.
Hearing aid compatible telephones and/or telephone amplifiers will be provided for patients with limited hearing ability upon request. This equipment may be obtained from the Social Services Office.
Automated teller machines (ATM) are located on the first floor in the parking garage link near the Gift Shop.
Chapel and Pastoral Care
Located on the first floor near the Surgical Waiting Area, the Hospital’s Chapel is always open for meditation, prayer, and worship. The Hospital’s Chaplains are available to bring you words of support and kindness and can help you contact your own minister. Call the Hospital operator to arrange for a visit from any of the Protestant or Catholic Chaplains. A Daily Devotion airs on Channel 2 of the Hospital’s television system at 8:15 am Monday–Friday, except on holidays.
Food and Nutrition Services
- At Your Request - At Southeast Hospital, patient meals are prepared and delivered in the form of a "room service" program called "At Your Request." This system allows patients to choose specific food items and meal delivery times. All diets are included in the system which is available from 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM daily. Nutritional counseling is also available. Please check with your nurse for more details.
- Guest Trays - A patient’s relative may arrange to eat a meal in the patient’s room for a nominal cost. This policy extends to all patient areas. For pediatric patients who are one year old or less, one parent is entitled to a complimentary tray per meal period. Please contact the nurse for more information.
- Cafeteria - Full meal service is also available in the Cafeteria located on the ground floor. Access is available through Elevator C. A salad bar is available every day, along with hot selections, pizza and assorted sandwiches made to order.
- Lacey’s On The Hill - Lacey’s On The Hill is a full-service restaurant located above the Hospital Lobby.
Operated by the Southeast Hospital Auxiliary, The Wishing Well Gift Shop carries fresh flower arrangements, baby gifts, handmade glycerin soaps, stuffed animals, decorative seasonal items, attractive accent pieces for home or office and many other gift items. Gift wrapping is offered free of charge. The Wishing Well is located just off the Hospital Lobby. Hours are 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM Monday–Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturdays, and noon to 6:00 PM on Sundays.
Flowers and gifts for patients can also be purchased by calling The Wishing Well at 573-331-6639 , or by going to the online giftshop.
Wireless Internet access (Wi-Fi) is available Hospital-wide. This includes all waiting areas, patient rooms, Lacey’s on the Hill and the Cafeteria. Wi-Fi service is also available in the Southeast Medical Plaza office building, the Southeast Cancer Center, and HealthPoint Plaza in Cape Girardeau.
Magazines and Books
Volunteers place donated magazines in waiting areas for you and your visitors to borrow while in the Hospital. The Hospital Auxiliary also provides mini-libraries in waiting areas. If you remove a book from the Hospital, please consider either returning it later, replacing it with another book, or making a donation to the Auxiliary Book Fund. Returned books and donations can be left at the Information Desk in the Hospital Lobby or the Volunteer Services office on the second floor.
Mail, E-mail, Flowers, and Balloons
Traditional mail addressed to patients (sent to the Hospital via the US Postal Service) is delivered by Volunteers Monday-Saturday, except on holidays. E-mail addressed to patients and sent via the Hospital’s Website, is delivered Monday–Friday, except on holidays. Flowers and balloons are delivered on a daily basis. NOTE: Flowers and plants are not delivered to patients while they are in the Intensive, Coronary Care, and Cardiothoracic Units. Mylar balloons are allowed, but Hospital policy prohibits the use of latex balloons.
The Southeast Missourian is distributed daily to patients by Volunteers. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, USA Today, the Southeast Missourian, and the Cash-Book Journal are available in vending machines on the first floor near the Gift Shop in the hallway between the Lobby and the parking garage.
For the convenience of your visitors, our free Shuttle Service provides rides between Hospital parking areas and the Main Lobby entrance. Shuttles run weekdays from 5:30 AM to 8:00 PM and weekends from noon to 8:00 PM.
The telephone in your room is provided to you free of charge. Callers may reach you in your room by calling the Hospital switchboard, 573-334-4822, and asking for your room number. No incoming calls will be put through to your room between 9:00 PM and 7:00 AM.
Local calls can be dialed from patient rooms by dialing “8,” waiting for a dial tone, and then proceeding to dial the local number.
Long distance calls can be made from patient rooms by dialing “8,” waiting for a dial tone, then dialing “0” + area code + the long distance number. An operator will answer to make billing arrangements. Do not include “1” in operator-assisted calls. To use a calling card, dial “8,” wait for a dial tone, then dial your card service access number. An operator will answer to make billing arrangements.
- Hospital Operator: To reach the Hospital Operator, dial “0.”
- Public pay telephones are available in various locations throughout the Hospital.
- Cellular telephones may be used throughout the Hospital.