Nurse Extern Program
SoutheastHEALTH offers students from local nursing schools the opportunity to participate in our Nurse Extern Program. The program is designed for nursing students who would like to get a head start on their skills and career. We offer a yearlong nurse extern experience and a summer-only extern experience.
As hospital employees, externs rotate through various departments as they learn and practice nursing skills, including assessment, documentation, intervention and evaluation. Flexible scheduling allows for working as a nurse extern while maintaining school commitments. Rotations to various patient care areas allows externs to work with experienced registered nurses in specialized clinical areas.
- Nurse Extern Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Nurse Extern IV Trained Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
Who Is Eligible?
Nursing students who are getting ready to begin their last year of nursing school or who are in their last year of nursing school are eligible to apply. The application process can begin during the second semester of nursing school to start the program before the last year of nursing school starts.
Applications will be accepted year-round, however the best times to apply are as follows:
- Submit applications in January to start in May
- May graduates apply starting in January before your final year of school begins
- December graduates apply starting in August before your final year of school begins
Once we receive all required application documents (see below) we will schedule a time for an interview.
How Do I Apply?
- Please complete the online application (keyword search: Extern) for employment at SoutheastHEALTH.
- Complete the Additional Extern Application Information (PDF)
- Instructor Reference Form (PDF) – to be completed by one of your instructors and emailed directly to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 573.651.5832.
- Submit a copy of your unofficial transcript
Please send a copy of your transcript and additional extern application information via one of the following methods:
SoutheastHEALTH Nurse Residency Program
Attn: Klaire Telle or Erin Drake
1701 Lacey St.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701