Nurse Extern Program
SoutheastHEALTH offers students from local nursing schools the opportunity to participate in our Nurse Extern Program. The program is designed for nursing students who would like to get a head start on their skills and career. Students who are getting ready to begin their last year of nursing school are eligible to apply.
As hospital employees, externs rotate through various departments as they learn and practice nursing skills, including assessment, documentation, intervention and evaluation. Flexible scheduling allows for working in this capacity in addition to school commitments. Rotations to various patient care areas allow externs to work with experienced registered nurses in clinical areas of their choice.
- Nurse Extern Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Nurse Extern IV Trained Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
Who Is Eligible?
Nursing students who are getting ready to begin their last year of nursing school.
An interview will be scheduled once all the required documents (see below) are received. To be considered for this yearlong experience, please apply at the following times:
- For those graduating in May, the best time to apply is January through March 1.
- For those graduating in December, the best time to apply is August through Oct. 1.
How Do I Apply?
- Please complete the online application (keyword search: Extern) for employment at SoutheastHEALTH.
- Additional Extern Application Information (PDF).
- Instructor Reference Form (PDF) – to be completed by one of your instructors and emailed directly to email@example.com or faxed to 573.651.5832.
Please send a copy of your transcript and the completed Extern Application and Area of Interest Survey via one of the following methods:
SoutheastHEALTH Nurse Residency Program
Attn: Klaire Telle
1701 Lacey St.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701