Nurse Extern Program
SoutheastHEALTH offers students from local nursing schools the opportunity to participate in our Nurse Extern Program. The program is designed for RN and LPN nursing students who would like to get a head start on their skills and career. We offer a yearlong nurse extern experience and a summer-only extern experience for RN students. We also offer a program for LPN students, length is determined by which program you are enrolled in.
As hospital employees, externs rotate through various departments as they learn and practice nursing skills, including assessment, documentation, intervention and evaluation. Flexible scheduling allows for working as a nurse extern while maintaining school commitments. Rotations to various patient care areas allows externs to work with experienced nurses in specialized clinical areas.
- Nurse Extern Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
- Nurse Extern IV Trained Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
- LPN Extern Roles and Responsibilities (PDF)
Who Is Eligible?
RN nursing students who are getting ready to begin their last year of nursing school or who are in their last year of nursing school are eligible to apply. The application process can begin during the second semester of nursing school to start the program before the last year of nursing school starts. LPN nursing students who have completed Nursing of Adults 1 or equivalent are eligible to apply.
Applications will be accepted year-round, however the best times to apply are as follows:
- Submit applications in January to start in May
- May graduates apply starting in January before your final year of school begins
- December graduates apply starting in August before your final year of school begins
Midway through completion of Nursing of Adults 1 (or equivalent) to start as soon as Nursing of Adults 1 is completed
Once we receive all required application documents (see below) we will schedule a time for an interview.
How Do I Apply?
- Please complete the online application (keyword search: Extern) for employment at SoutheastHEALTH.
- Complete the RN - Additional Extern Application Information (PDF) or LPN - Additional Extern Application Information
- RN - Instructor Reference Form (PDF) or LPN - Instructor Reference Form (PDF) – to be completed by one of your instructors and emailed directly to email@example.com or faxed to 573.651.5832.
- Submit a copy of your unofficial transcript
Please send a copy of your transcript and additional extern application information via one of the following methods:
SoutheastHEALTH Nurse Residency Program
Attn: Klaire Telle
1701 Lacey St.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701