Provider DirectoryBack to provider directory
|Facilities||Southeast Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, Southeast Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Clinic|
|Groups||Accepting First Option|
University of Missouri-Columbia,
Mayo Graduate School of Medicine,
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
|Internship||Naval Hospital (San Diego)|
American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Advanced Trauma Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, CAQ Sports Medicine
After having graduated from Cape Central High School and Southeast Missouri State University, Dr. Jimmy Bowen is excited to return to his roots. "Although I have lived all over the country and abroad Cape Girardeau is still the place I've considered home," he says.
Dr. Bowen chose Physical Medicine and Sports Medicine because of its great diversity. He has put his expertise in the field to work as a former Team Physician at Southeast Missouri State University, the United States Naval Academy and Consultant for Special Forces.
"This has allowed me to combine Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation and Strength and Conditioning approach to the nonsurgical aspects of treating patients with musculoskeletal and neurologic needs."
Dr. Bowen and his wife Kelly have four adult children. The Bowens enjoy Latin dance, exploring restaurants, visits with their grandchildren and travel.
If you're a tennis player, it might be "tennis elbow." If you're a golfer, it might be "golfer's elbow." If you're neither, elbow pain can be caused by any repetitive bending and flexing of the elbow. SoutheastHEALTH sports medicine specialist Dr. Jimmy Bowen explains the differences in elbow pain — and what can be done to relieve it.
Millions of Americans suffer from osteoarthritis, caused by mechanical wear and tear on joints. It's more than annoying — it can be downright painful. There are many options for treating osteoarthritis, including non-surgical options and orthobiologics. SoutheastHEALTH Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Specialist Dr. Jimmy Bowen has more on ways to relive this common condition.
Publications & Research
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Gerard A. Malanga. Spondylolysis and Arnold Chiari Malformation and Syringomyelia. A Report of Two Cases. SPINE, Vol. 22, No. 20, pp2458-2463
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Marty Deafenbaugh. Adhesive Capsulitis and Other Causes of Shoulder Pain and Immobility. Shoulder Colloquium. Accepted by POSTGRADUATE MEDICINE, 9/2005
- Jimmy D. Bowen. Chapter 48. Electrodiagnostic Evaluation in Sports Medicine. In Seidenberg and Beutler. Sports Medicine Resource Manual Elsevier Publications 2008
- Jennifer Reed and Jimmy D. Bowen. Chapter 33. Sports Rehabilitation Basics. In Seidenberg and Beutler. Sports Medicine Resource Manual. Elsevier Publications 2008
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Gerard A. Malanga. Posterior Hip Dislocation in a Football Player with Congenital Hip Dysplasia. Case Report, ACSM, Cincinnati, 1996 Abstract: MSSE 28:5
- Gerard A. Malanga and Jimmy D. Bowen. C5/C6 Radiculopathy after Water Skiing Fall: Presenting with Shoulder Pain. Case Report, ACSM, Cincinnati, 1996 Abstract: MSSE 28:5
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Jay Smith. “ Abdominal Mass in a Golfer”. Acute onset of Thoracic Radiculitis with External Oblique Weakness. Case Report, ACSM, Denver, 1997 Abstract: MSSE 29:5
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Jayson Takata. Acute Onset of Shoulder Pain in A Golfer-- Initial Symptom of Metastatic Lung CA. Case Report, ACSM, Orlando, 1998 Abstract: MSSE 30:5
- Jayson Takata and Jimmy D. Bowen. Acute Onset of Thoracic Back Pain in a Recreational Golfer. Multiple Myeloma Presenting as an Isolated Thoracic Vertebral Compression Fracture. Case Report, ACSM, Orlando, 1998 Abstract: MSSE 30:5
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Kevin F. Bonner. Posterior Bankhart Injury in Football/Baseball Player, A Bennett’s Lesion? Case Report, ACSM, St. Louis, 2002 Abstract MSSE 34:5
- Jimmy D. Bowen and Francis O’Connor. Horner’s Syndrome after a Football Celebratory Hug. Case Report, ACSM, San Francisco, 2004 Abstract MSSE 35:5