Digestive Health (Gastroenterology)
Problems with your digestive system can range from annoying to life-threatening. Some, like infrequent heartburn, you may be able to treat yourself. But many other gut problems require the expertise of a gastroenterologist, a doctor who specializes in preventing, diagnosing and treating disorders of the digestive system.
We are Digestive Health Experts
Board certified gastroenterologists staff both Southeast Gastroenterology and Southeast Digestive Health Center.
Our doctors work with a team of highly skilled advanced practice registered nurses. Our nurses all have more than 20 years of experience and are dedicated to providing you with excellent care and a great patient experience.
Here are just some of the conditions our providers and nurses can help you with:
- Barrett's esophagus
- Celiac disease
- Difficulty swallowing
- Crohn's disease
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)/heartburn
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
What We Offer
We provide a wide range of diagnostic and treatment services. So whether you have a specific symptom or condition, like trouble swallowing or frequent heartburn, you can count on our digestive health team to figure out the cause and offer a solution.
Many common diagnostic tests, like video pill cameras and upper endoscopy, are available. We also have the latest tests and procedures other gastroenterology clinics in our area do not offer, such as:
- Radiofrequency ablation (RFA), to treat Barrett's esophagus and help prevent esophageal cancer
- Manometry, to diagnose conditions that cause pain, heartburn or trouble swallowing
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatogram (ERCP), which can be used for things like removing gallstones from the bile ducts or detecting a lesion or tumor in the pancreas, gallbladder or liver
And when needed, we work closely with general surgeons at Southeast Hospital. For example, if surgery could help with your GERD, we can perform the tests that will tell if you are a candidate for the LINX® Reflux Management System.
Schedule a Colonoscopy
Gastroenterologists are the specialists you turn to when it's time for a colonoscopy. Colonoscopies for colorectal cancer prevention and early detection are offered at Southeast Digestive Health Center. This facility features a peaceful, relaxing environment and private rooms where you can recover until you’re ready to go home after your procedure.
We use leading-edge equipment for performing colonoscopies with the highest regard for quality and detection, including high-definition video screens. Our team has achieved a detection rate for precancerous adenoma polyps that exceeds the national standard. Finding and removing these polyps in the colon can prevent cancer.
We know that many people are nervous about having a colonoscopy. We work very hard to make sure you are comfortable.
Here are a few important reminders if you are scheduled to have a colonoscopy:
- We will provide you with a booklet of instructions on how to prepare for your colonoscopy. Be sure to read it carefully. Let us know if you have any questions.
- A sedative is used for the procedure. So please remember that you will need to arrange for someone other than a cab or public transportation to give you a ride home.
The American Cancer Society recommends starting colon cancer screening at age 45. Some insurance companies recommend starting at age 50 or 10 years prior to a first-degree family member's diagnosis. Talk to your primary care provider about a screening schedule that is right for you.
To schedule a routine screening colonoscopy, please call 573.331.7910.
Make an Appointment with a Gastroenterologist
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 573.331.7910. Our team will help you determine if you need a referral.