Colon cancer is the #2 leading cause of cancer death among men and women combined. In our service area specifically, colon cancer is one of the top 4 cancers we treat. Recent data also shows that our region is one of 3 hot spots in the nation for an increased prevalence of death by colon cancer. The good news is colon cancer is preventable and treatable when caught earlier. Unfortunately, 1 in 3 people are not up-to-date with colorectal cancer screenings.
Colon Cancer Screening
If you have any of these risk factors, call Southeast Gastroenterology at 573-331-7910 to inquire about having a screening colonoscopy.
Get The Facts
- Colorectal cancer is deadly. Among cancers, only lung cancer kills more Americans each year than this largely preventable disease.
- Colorectal cancer does not discriminate. This disease affects men and women equally. Those diagnosed with the disease often experience no noticeable symptoms.
- The good news is that if everyone, aged 50 or older, underwent regular colorectal screenings, at least 60 percent of deaths from this cancer could be avoided.
- About 5% to 10% of people who develop colorectal cancer have inherited the gene from a family member
Are You at Risk?
Southeast Gastroenterology recommends everyone obtain a colonoscopy by age 50. Individuals, under age 50, who have a family history of colon cancer or other risk factors, should have a colonoscopy as well. The following factors indicate an elevated risk for colon cancer:
Are you over the age of 50?
- Do you have a family history of colon cancer?
- Do you have a family member with a history of colon polyps?
- Do you have a change in bowel habit?
- Do you have (or have you ever had) rectal bleeding?
So are you at risk? Take our free, online health risk assessment to find out or call Southeast Gastroenterology at 573-331-7910 to schedule your colonoscopy.
Ask The Experts
The less you know about colorectal cancer, the scarier it may seem. Education is key. Join us at our FREE educational seminar to hear our panel of experts talk about your risks for colon cancer and the importance of timely screenings.
Colon Cancer Seminar
March 7, 2018
6:00 - 7:00 PM
Drury Plaza Hotel Conference Center
- Learn the importance of screenings, leading treatment options and the impact diet and exercise has on colorectal health
- Learn why our region is a hot spot for colon cancer
- Refreshments will be served.