Why Choose Us
Regular visits with a SoutheastHEALTH Primary Care Provider (PCP) are beneficial for adult health and wellness for Southeast Missouri residents. National research studies conducted have found that patients with a PCP have better:
- Management of chronic diseases
- Lower overall health care costs
- And a higher level of satisfaction with their care
PCPs help to coordinate patient care all in one place. Within a SoutheastHEALTH PCP’s practice, you have the ability to access a wide spectrum of health services, including:
- Wellness screenings and preventive care, such as cancer screenings
- Chronic care for conditions like asthma, hypertension, and diabetes
- Acute care for symptoms like cough, stomach pain, or high fever
- Full service laboratory on site so patients do not have to travel to another location for lab testing
- Minor procedures can be performed in the office versus the hospital
By developing a relationship with a SoutheastHEALTH PCP, you are ensuring that other physicians and medical staff within the practice also know your medical history. This “health care team” can more easily detect patterns in your health and recommend lifestyle changes to prevent future complications requiring expensive specialty care.
For example, simple testing during a visit with your PCP can reveal health problems, such as high blood pressure, that may go unnoticed leading to more serious issues later in life.
Chronic diseases —including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer— account for some of the most common health problems in the United States, according to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Many of these chronic diseases are preventable, as they’re linked to poor diet and lifestyle choices including tobacco use, excessive alcohol consumption, and inadequate physical activity.
The CDC reports some sobering statistics about Americans:
- Chronic diseases are the leading causes of death and disability.
- 70% of annual deaths are due to chronic diseases.
- These preventable conditions not only compromise quality of life, they add to rising health care costs—75% of our health care dollars are devoted to treat these diseases.
- Among adults ages 20 to 74, diabetes remains the leading cause of kidney failure, blindness, and non-traumatic lower-extremity amputations.
Health Risk Assessments and Wellness
The Health Risk Assessment (HRA) questionnaire is a tool that gives participants an evaluation of their current health and quality of life. The HRA promotes health awareness by reviewing participants’ personal lifestyle practices and revealing health issues that could be impacted by personal choices.
SoutheastHEALTH uses an HRA developed by the Healthgrades Health Management Research Center (HHMRC). The HRA Questionnaire and Profile (confidential feedback) is online for participants.
After completing the HRA, each participant receives a personal Profile Report that recommends healthy behaviors according to age group, gender, and risk level. The Profile Report presents each participant’s three greatest health risk factors and lists resources available to help consumers reduce their risks.
HRAs can be integrated with a health screening, or can function as a standalone wellness program. HRAs integrated with a health screening event yield more complete pictures of participants’ health status because lifestyle information is considered along with clinical results (e.g. cholesterol level).