TMJ Therapy for Jaw Pain
HealthPoint Rehabilitation offers therapy for TMJ (temporomandibular) Disorder. TMJ disorders cause pain in the joint and muscles of your jaw, headaches, and trouble with eating. A detailed interview and evaluation will take place on your first visit. Both the neck and jaw (TMJ) areas work together and therefore your therapy will include evaluation of both areas for movement, posture and signs of stress/strain on the soft tissues.
Symptoms of TMJ disorder may include:
- Limited, painful movement of the jaw and neck
- Pain in the face, neck or shoulders
- Painful clicking, popping and grating sounds in the jaw
- Headaches, dizziness, earaches and hearing problems
What Causes TMJ Dysfunction?
The temporomandibular (jaw) joint connects the jawbone to the skull.
Underlying causes of TMJ include:
- Poor head and neck posture
- Clenching or grinding of teeth
- Malalignment of teeth
Our individualized TMJ treatment approach consists of:
- Exercises to restore pain-free motion of the mouth and neck
- Education and exercises to address postural habits of the head and neck
- Education to manage and reduce pain during daily activities of eating, talking, computer work and hobbies
- Manual mobilization of joints to restore normal biomechanical movement
- manual treatments to relieve tense muscles
- Modalities to assist in treatment may include ultrasound, iontophoresis or electrical stimulation